Contract type: Fixed term (full time)
Contract duration: 4 months subject to fund availability.
Duty Station: Will be roving between field sub-offices in Hajja and Hodeida governorates according to work plan and workload with frequent visits to Head office and Health facilities in the targeted districts.
Report directly to: Project Manager.
The National Foundation for Development and Humanitarian Response (NFDHR) is a not-for-proﬁt and nongovernmental organization (NGO) that was established June 2012 in Yemen. Our vision is a peaceful and stable Yemen free of poverty, in which all people have equal access to basic needs and human rights, and our mission is to provide an integrated humanitarian and development response to aid Yemen and other conﬂict. aﬀected countries through a professional, neutral, and transparent approach
We aim to achieve our overall vision and mission by working to enhance local communities' development and stability through identifying structural causes of poverty, raising awareness, increasing access to basic services, and focusing on building citizens' capacities, especially women and youth, so as to enable their participation in the decision-making process that leads to sustainable development and a peaceful society within their developing and conﬂict-aﬀected countries. NFDHR aims to accomplish these goals through its seven core programs: Food Security and Livelihoods (FSL); Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene (WASH); Health and Nutrition; . Education; Gender and Protection; Shelter and Non-food items (NFIs); and Peace building and Governance
NFDHR is implementing “Emergency Response Project in Health and Nutrition to the Vulnerable IDPs and host communities in Hajjah and Hodeida” which is funded by UNOCHA and designed with the aim to cover the gap for people in acute need through life-saving assistance of Health and Nutrition in the targeted districts and ensuring accessibility to humanitarian assistance among the most vulnerable IDPs and the host communities in Khayran Al Muharraq & Aslam districts in Hajjah and in Al Garrahi and Bayt al-faqih Districts in Hodeida governorates.
This project goal is to further enhance and improve the sustainability of the health care system and maintain the currently established level of services provided to the community through the provision of an integrated approach, prioritizing the most vulnerable population (pregnant and lactating women, under-five children, IDPs who are merged in the hosting community and host communities) and ensure quality health services through the project activities.
The WASH engineering Officer will Being directly responsible for the design, implementation, follow-up and evaluation of all rehabilitation components of Health and nutrition project and related project sites in the targeted communities of project. The WASH engineering Officer will work under the guidance of the Health and Nutrition project Manager. S/He will be responsible for conducting of preliminary assessments for rehabilitation activities in supported Health facilities, Preparing the final BOQ for rehabilitation activities, Supervising the rehabilitation Process in the HFs at the field level, Conducting Spot Check Visits to the targeted HFs and Assessing, Verifying and validating that infrastructure rehabilitation works done by partners and contractor are carried out according to quality standards through quality checklists. This position is full-time, based on a 40-hour work week, but varies from week to week as humanitarian need constantly oscillates according to the unstable conflict environment and funding availability.
Main responsibilities and duties:
- Contribute to assessments of prospective Health facilities to support project design.
- Produce weekly and monthly progress reports including key achievements and planning for the following period.
- Develop, implement and monitor monthly activity plans to achieve expected results, which include planning of activities, budgets and procurement.
- Ensure that all planned activities are implemented on time, to quality measures and within budget as per the monthly plan. Where challenges arise, ensure that these are flagged early, communicated to the Project Manager and addressed in an appropriate way
- Develop detail bill of quantities (BOQ) and drawings for the Rehabilitation works required to bring the HFs into full functionality.
- Develop specifications based on assessment and project requirements, ensuring that recommended work is within the quality standards.
- Accomplish all related tasks through ERP System.
- Working through Portal 365.
- Develop rehabilitation and construction project budget estimates
- Supervise the rehabilitation process, ensuring that it is completed within timelines and in accordance with approved BOQs
- Responsible for the design, establishment of work specifications and quotation, follow-up and evaluation of activities related to the rehabilitation of infrastructures in targeted HFs.
- Strengthen and train HFs Management to successfully operate and maintain HFs infrastructure.
- Establish productive working relationships with HFs administrators and government officials to promote good WASH practices in HFs.
- Monitor and ensure functionality of HFs WASH facilities, including improved water sources, latrines and hand washing facilities.
- Evaluate success of HFs interventions in accordance with organizational policy and maintain related data and records.
- Verify that rehabilitation works done by partners and contractor are carried out according to quality standards through quality checklists.
- Ensure that donor compliance requirements are met by developing appropriate checklist.
- Certify achievement of contractual milestones
- Seek and obtain appropriate government sign-off on works at the start and completion of the work
- Provide the logistic team and/or the Bid Committee with technical support and analysis
- Validate the progress and quality of work of the contractors, track payments and ensure controls in place to approve payments based on acceptable delivery of terms of contract and meeting of deadlines.
- Write and submit weekly activity reports and filed visit reports at critical points of the rehabilitation works.
- Coordinate rehabilitation activities with other local actors (governmental and non-governmental).
- Support logistical and financial departments in providing necessary supportive documents in order to facilitate procurement and payments.
- Perform any other tasks that may be assigned by the supervisor.
- University Degree in Civil, Structural Engineering or equivalent fields with minimum of 2 years of experience in the sector.
- At least 2 years of experience in planning and implementation of small-scale construction works, mainly HFs rehabilitation related works
- Experience in supervision of contractors and contract administration.
- Good knowledge of safety standards and legislation related to construction and rehabilitation in Yemen
- INGO experience preferred
- Personal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural environment, flexible and able to handle pressure well.
- Fluency in English is essential
- Effective use of computers – Word and Excel and preferably a design and drawing software like AUTOCAD.
- Experience or knowledge of working and living in relevant regions/contexts
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Flexible and able to work well under pressure
- Capable of working collaborative with team members to achieve results
- Relates and works well with people from different cultures, genders, religions and backgrounds