Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Specialist, Yemen Continuous Learning & Evaluation Activity
Aden - Yemen
Effective date: As soon as possible
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
The Yemen Continuous Learning and Evaluation (YCLE) program provides rapidly deployed, robust, on-the ground, in-country oversight of USAID funded development activities implemented in Yemen. The YCLE Contractor supports the prudent use of U.S. taxpayer funds in an efficient and cost-effective manner, with a focus on: (1) Performance and Contextual Monitoring and Verification Services; (2) Evaluation Services; (3) Analysis and Reporting Services; (4) Collaboration, Learning, and Adaptive Management Services; and, (5) Program Support Services. The overall goal of YCLE is to enable USAID/Yemen to become a more effective and adaptive development organization.
The MEL Specialist will report to the Senior MEL Specialist and work closely with the other Aden based MEL Specialist overseeing TPM activities in the workplan. The MEL Specialist will be primarily responsible for managing a portfolio of Third-Party Monitoring activities and will also play a key role in YCLE’s other work including MEL technical assistance, program evaluations and training and capacity building. This position is open to those already based and eligible to work in Yemen.
- Manage a Third-Party Monitoring (TPM) portfolio of USAID/Yemen Implementing Partners. This works includes:
- Coordinating with IPs to receive an up to date implementation plans and workplans
- Selecting IP sub-activity sites for monitoring
- Designing TPM tools
- Working with other MEL Specialists to design trainings for TPM data collectors
- Facilitating IP TPM kick off meetings, orientation meetings and debrief meetings
- Ensuring that IPs provide all needed TPM data or information in a timely basis
- Setting and updating at TPM workplan, sharing that work plan with the Senior MEL specialist on a daily basis
- Drafting TPM site visit reports
- Maintaining good and close relationships with IP MEL and Programmatic staff
- Conduct technical reviews of Activity MEL Plans (AMELPs) of USAID’s implementing partners. This includes review of Theory of Change, Results Frameworks, Performance Indicator Reference Sheets (PIRS) etc.
- Design, support, and lead Data Quality Assessments (DQAs) to ensure the reliability and validity of performance data
- Collect, analyze and report data against YCLE MEL indicators as assigned by the Senior MEL Specialist
- Lead and participate in Collaboration, Learning & Adaptation (CLA) activities to ensure TPM, evaluation, and assessment data and information contributes to learning and adapting
- Other duties, as necessary and assigned by the Senior MEL Specialist or Chief of Party
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in international development with at least three years of concentrated experience in applied data collection (research or MEL data collection). A 7 years of total experience preferred
- Advanced university degree (MA or above) in social sciences, international development or economics or other fields closely related to MEL preferred but not required
- Experience with third party monitoring strongly preferred
- Strong background in MEL processes and knowledge of MEL tools
- Familiarity with development programming in Yemen strongly preferred
- Familiarity/experience with USAID preferred but not required
- Strong proficiency in written and spoken English and Arabic required
Reasonable Accommodations: MSI is dedicated to hiring an inclusive workforce. If you would like to request reasonable accommodations during the application process, please email [اضغط هنا لمشاهدة البريد اﻹلكتروني] with “Reasonable Accommodations” in the title. Our recruitment team looks forward to engaging in an interactive process to provide reasonable accommodations for candidates.