Job Title: Protection Coordinator
Duration: Initially until 31 December 2021, with possibility of extension depending on fund availability and staff performance.
Date of Issue: 17 January 2021
Closing Date for Applications: 22 January 2021
Jeel Albena Association for Humanitarian Development known as (JAAHD) is a National and Non-Governmental Association emerged in wake of the humanitarian crisis to help communities affected by conflict in Yemen. It provides emergency relief and direct assistance for the conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities, vulnerable groups and those people caught up in extraordinary life-threatening situations. JAAHD has a presence in Al Hudaydah, Hajjah, Almahweet & Raymah with the aim of building up protection capacities for people in displacement and finding durable solutions for them upon return.
Currently JAAHD in partnership with UNHCR is implementing a protection project in Alhodeidah governorate. The objective of the project is to offer protection assistance for IDPs and hosting community through the community center in the city.
The community center will offer multi protection assistance including PSS activities, legal assistance and referral cases. Thus, the association announces the need to hire a Protection Coordinator to achieve the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Responsible for the timely, high-quality, and effective provision of protection services within the community center. This includes the implementation of psychosocial support (PSS) and recreational activities, informal education and awareness raising, case management and delivery of cash for protection/ individual protection assistance (IPA), and legal services.
- Supervise protection staff (Social Workers, Legal, PSS) and all protection community center facilitators, guards, and cleaners.
- Ensure that services are in compliance with best-practice and international standards in protection response.
- Ensure tracking and reporting of activity data to community center manager.
- Set and oversee team schedules for service delivery, and effective communication with the community for when and where services will be happening.
- Lead the creation of a service mapping with support from the social workers, and conduct internal and external referrals of beneficiaries to relevant services;
- In collaboration with the community center manager and protection specialists, prepare the protection monitoring plans and targeted locations.
- Train all newly recruited staff on the service delivery, the relevant SOPs and the data filing and storing procedures.
- Ensure continuous on the job coaching and mentoring;
- Develop procurement plan and oversee the full procurement process, ensure maintenance of the community center is conducted in a timely manner.
- Produce monthly reports and support the community center manager in submitting reports as per schedule.
- Prepare and submit weekly and monthly work plans in a timely manner.
- Support the implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools and report on problems in the implementation of the project.
- Oversee the tracking and reporting of activities and target achievements in the services under responsibility.
- Lead weekly supervisory meetings with team to address any issues and set team plans.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationship with relevant stakeholders including partners, community leaders and service providers.
- Advocate for the needs of vulnerable individuals both internally and through coordination mechanisms through evidence-based advocacy.
- Maintain an up-to-date service mapping of the service providers operating in the area and ensure that Assistants are informed about the available services;
- Maintain positive work relationship within the team, and promote team-building efforts in coordination with the community center manager.
- And any other relevant duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- University degree in social work, counseling, psychology, or closely related field.
- Experience in protection services or relevant humanitarian action.
- Ability to provide technical support, trainings and supervision to staff.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, effective in representation and liaison with external parties.
- Familiar with all terms related to the protection of IDPs.
- Initiative and ability to follow up on issues.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of JAAHD.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity.
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent knowledge of MS applications particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Attention to details, accuracy and structured way of approaching task.