HYAC has been providing relief and development services in Yemen since 1990. Using right-based approaches, HYAC has mainly focused on internally displaced People by conflict and natural disasters. Programs include WASH, protection, Food security/livelihoods, construction/ rehabilitation, health, shelter and education. HYAC has 6 main offices in Sana’a, Aden, Hodeida, Taiz, hudramount and Socotra as a several sub-offices throughout Yemen. In response to the humanitarian needs and the resulting increase of conflict affected population in Yemen, HYAC is seeking the services of a qualified Secuirty officer to support our emergency response.
Job Title: Secuirty officer
Location: (Aden (1))
Contract: fixed term Contract
Duration: One year with possibility of extension
Secuirty officer Duties and Responsibilities
- Support the HR unit to develop, update and implement HYAC’s safety and security management plan, SOPs and contingency plans
- Ensure, monitor and support in capacity building of staff to enable adherence to policies and procedures
- Assist HR unit in delivering training to staff on safety and security Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs); Contingency Plans (CPs); Security Management; Incident Reporting and Emergency Communication System; etc.
- Oversight of the guards ensuring quality services are provided.
- Ensure that guards are aware of HYAC SOPs and can implement them properly and conduct regular spot checks (e.g. Visitors, logbooks, securing the compound, patrol, etc.)
- Provide security orientation to new staff and visitors.
- Undertake monthly check of office and guest house to ensure appropriate safety and security procedures/equipment are in place and functional (in coordination with Logistic Department)
- In coordination with Logistic Department, ensure that all vehicles are properly equipped, maintained and driven per HYAC Safe driving guidelines
- In close coordination with the HR unit provide training and regular refreshers on safe driving to existing and all newly employed drivers
- Provide security clearance to HYAC staff movements based on the security and safety situation and in coordination with the Field Coordinator
- Support in the day to day tracking of staff movements providing relevant information to ensure safe travel
- Report any safety and security information that could potentially have an impact on HYAC staff or operations to the director office and HR officer and assist in the incident management as required
- In coordination with HR unit, conduct safety and security assessments upon request
- Anticipate / Identify access constraints and support management to develop strategies to address identified constraints
- Any other tasks assigned by HR unit
Context monitoring, analysis and reporting
- Continuously monitor and assess the safety and security situation in HYAC’s operational areas and share relevant safety and security updates/ information followed by advisories with staff and management as appropriate
- Upon management request, represent HYAC at relevant N/INGO/UN security forum
- Build and maintain relationship with relevant stakeholders in order to develop strong networking for sharing security and access information and coordination
- Provide weekly security brief to staff (two ways communication: update staff on context and listen to security concerns/challenges staff is experiencing)
- Daily monitoring of media, social media and any other relevant information sharing platform
- Upon management request, liaise with actors in area (operation room, authorities or security representatives)
Skills and qualities:
- Ability to work under pressure with a high level of personal organization and flexibility
- High level of autonomy
- Time management and ability to meet concurrent deadlines
- Strong command of Microsoft Office Package
- Good skills in mapping using mapping software/technology
- Good communication and reporting skills
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and to HYAC’s mandate
- Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
- Proactive, hardworking and discreet
Secuirty officer Skills and Specifications
- Secondary education required.
- Bachelor degree or equivalent in Political Science, Military Studies, Security Management, Management or a relevant field is highly desirable, but is not a requirement.
- Secondary education with at least 5 years relevant experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work or (2 years of experience for bachelor degree holders).
- Prior experience with the UN system or international NGO is an advantage.
- Knowledge of UN rules and regulations or OHCHR methodology is desirable.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is required.
- Solid computer skills
- Knowledge of the UNSRM system
- Knowledge of UN Communications equipment
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
Secuirty officer Education and Qualifications
- Bachelor Degree
- Minimum 2 years in the humanitarian field with at least 1 year’ experience as security and safety officer for N/INGO or UN or at least two years in the security sector
- Strong experience in context analysis and networking