Chief of Party- Yemen
Yemen - ,
Nonprofit - Social Services
Chief of Party
Terms of Reference
ADRA Canada, UK and Sweden Portfolios
ADRA Yemen created this position that is responsible to manage two relevant portfolios for ADRA Yemen (ADRA Canada and Sweden).
This position will be implementing activities funded by: International Humanitarian Assistance, Canadian Food Grains Bank and SMC/SIDA.
The projects activities mainly focus in Health/Nutrition, WASH and Food Security.
Projects Locations/governorates: Saada (PWS - Sweden Portolio), Marib (MHNIR and EFA – IHA/CFGB) – UK (Al Jaff, etc), with possibilities of expansion to other governorates.
The position reports directly to the Non-US Programs Director and is based in Sanna’s with regular trips to activities locations when is required and accessible.
Strategic Direction and Program Management (60%)
Networking and Partnerships (15%)
- Take lead role in planning and adjusting the projects design to ensure achievement of the projects’ strategic objectives.
- Lead, supervise and manage the projects´ team, providing a clear vision and strategic direction for project implementation and management;
- Supervise, mentor and support the technical and key personnel of the projects,
- Introduce innovative ideas and approaches to health issues where relevant, and identify opportunities for synergy and inter-sectoral cooperation;
- Ensure effective project management, including budget oversight and monitoring of projects´ progress towards achieving results;
- Ensure coordination among partners and local implementation partners to facilitate synergy of efforts for the achievement of project’s results;
- Identify partnership and collaboration strategies with NGOs, Government authorities, and private sector (if applicable);
- Prepare annual work plan, procurement plan and budget according to donor rules and regulations;
- Ensure compliance with all relevant administrative and financial policies and procedures of donors;
- Ensure that annual work plan, and quarterly and annual reports are produced and delivered on time and in high-quality reports which meet donor and ADRA Canada and Sweden requirements; and
- Provide, on regular basis, programmatic and management updates to ADRA Yemen and Support Office related to Supervised Portfolio (ADRA Canada and ADRA Sweden)
- Ensure systematic and effective implementation of the ADRA Canada and Sweden funded projects through including but not limited to extensive and regular field visits to accessible field offices and projects locations, and implementing corrective measures to keep the projects on the right track for achieving the planned results;
- Represent supervised Portfolio interest at ADCOM when required.
- To represent ADRA Yemen when required by Country Director, Finance and Administrator Director and Non-US Programs Manager (direct supervisor)
Human Resource Management and Development (15%)
- Ensure that the Supervised Program Portfolio have effective and appropriate representation on national, regional and international forums;
- Participate and/or contribute to relevant conferences, workshops, and meetings that will enhance program representation and knowledge sharing;
- Represent the Supervised Program Portfolio at regional and other technical meetings as relevant, keeping up to date with developments in the external environment;
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with Government authorities/ministries and departments, UN agencies, and NGOs involved in the Supervised Portfolio, and actively participate in coordination meetings;
- Ensure strong communication and coordination with other Health, Nutrition and WASH, INGOs, NGOs, UN agencies operating in Yemen.
- Liaise and coordinate with staff from other sectors/programs within ADRA Yemen to ensure Supervised Portfolio works and achievements become both integrated and complimentary;
- Correspond and coordinate with other relevant organizations on health issues to share knowledge and voice input in the formulation of policies.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (10%)
- Actively participation in Hire, manage and provide guidance to all project staff to ensure that program targets are met;
- Provide leadership and adjust the organogram as needed to ensure effective management and supervision;
- Create opportunities for staff development in coordination with Human Resources and ADRA Supportive offices (Sweden, Canada, others);
- Foster a learning environment among the team members, encouraging innovation and sharing of ideas across Health, WASH, Nutrition, Food Security and any other Related Cluster.
- Ensure appropriate training and capacity building activities for Supervised Portfolio program staff members, to support high quality program implementation at field sites;
- Conduct capacity building for international and national staff in grants management, spending tracking, and compliance
- Supervise and guide the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) to lead all project monitoring, evaluation, learning and dissemination efforts;
- Ensure good practice by supporting the development of strong MEAL mechanisms and identify gaps in the standards of delivery of Supervised Portfolio through a robust monitoring process;
- Ensure that the program monitoring tools and system are in place to ensure high quality implementation by partners;
- Assist in the periodic review and evaluation of projects at field sites;
- Identify and carry out operational research related to Supervised Portfolio and proper dissemination of results;
- Ensure that relevant technical materials are made available and that appropriate dissemination takes place;
- Ensure project and other relevant data are used for decision-making to guide adjustment of project activities or strategies for effective implementation; and
- Ensure that the MEAL team completes timely submission of all program reports, documents and program publications including scientific papers for peer review journals as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline, Master’s Degree preferred,
- At least seven years of international work experience in relief programs; regional and emergency programming experience preferred
- Advanced knowledge on Development and Humanitarian sector policy and programs,
- Successful experience in management of large multi donor portfolios is essential;
- Demonstrated experience leading and managing large-scale and diverse teams;
- Excellent leadership, advocacy and interpersonal skills with expertise in program and staff management and capacity development;
- Technical skills of program design, supervision, and data utilization for decision-making is required;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; Arabic is desirable;
- Excellent presentation skills including policy briefing;
- Demonstrated skills on process facilitation and coordination with high standards;
- Ability and willingness to travel both domestically and internationally.
- Demonstrated strong experience in capacity building of national and international staff
- Ability to work well under administrative and programmatic pressures. Flexibility to adapt to changing requirements
- Commitment to the ADRA’s mission, purpose, and values
- Prior experience as Country Director, Chief of Party/Deputy, Program/Project Manager
- At least 10 years of senior level experience managing donor-funded activities to promote climate change adaptation strategies, enhance the resilience of key sector stakeholders, and reduce vulnerabilities to the impacts of climate change
- Demonstrated success in breaking down development challenges, creating and implementing solutions, and achieving measurable results in development projects
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Arabic language skills desirable
- Research experience.
- Ability to develop collaborative and harmonious relationship with external partners and all stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills to persuade and positively influence others
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work schedules
Interested candidates should apply through this link: Google Form- Chief of Party not later than December 31, 2020. Resumes will be considered on a rolling-basis and candidates are encouraged to apply early.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.