Job Title: Operations Officer
Band/ Level / Grade: 8B
Reporting to: Field Coordinator
Location: Aldhale and Lahij Governorate
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC Yemen began its Health, Nutrition and Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) programs in response to the impact of conflicts in Abyan and Aden Governorates in October 2012. Currently IRC Yemen is operating in eight governorates through direct programming and through local partnership in Health, WASH, Nutrition, Economic Recovery Development, Education, Child Protection and Women Protection and Empowerment.
The Operations officer is responsible for ensuring the day to day management of the support services for the effective implementation of IRC programs in Al Dhale’e field office. The OF provides support to the Field Coordinator in the facilitation of IRC program start-ups, various visits, closely coordinating with Liaison Manager and Grants team. He/she will periodically conduct program site visits and support Field Coordinator in liaising with various governmental authorities as required to facilitate smooth implementation of IRC’s programming.
- Support Field Coordinator to lead the weekly coordination meeting among departments. Deputize in his absence.
- Work closely with Aden based operations leads to obtain all support needed for smooth implementation of IRC activities in Al Dhale’e and Lahj governorates.
- Support Field Coordinator in managing Al Dhale’e field office and satellite office at the IRC’s CP center, including but not limited to setting up workshops/conferences, raising and following up on pending PRs, payments and lease agreements, security enhancement etc.
- Support Field Coordinator and HR in monitoring staff attendance to office and program sites in Al Dhale’e and Lahj governorates.
- Support Field Coordinator and HR in effective implementation of office etiquette in Al Dhale’e field office and program centers, identify gaps and recommend changes as required.
- Assist Field Coordinator in organizing and facilitating visits by local authorities and field visits by the country management team.
- Collect, compile and produce reports on identified gaps and action points as a follow-on from field visits.
- Facilitate stakeholder engagement with relevant community and government authorities, including introduction of new projects and notification of timely exit strategies. Translate during the meetings and written documents, as required. Document the meetings and share minutes with Field Coordinator.
- Actively participate in assessments for possible expansion of IRC intervention in Al Dhale’e and Lahj governorates.
- Conduct periodic program site visits in Al Dhale’e and Lahj governorates as required, identify gaps and required support and advise the Field Coordinator and program teams on the required mitigation measures.
- Collect and compile weekly program workplans and submit to Field Coordinator.
- Carry out other related work as directed by the supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Management or relevant field.
- A minimum 3 years of previous INGO experience
- Ability to develop relationships with clients and community members.
- Driven, self-directed and the ability to manage multiple competing demands and commitments,
- Team player and flexible.
- Creative and enthusiastic, with the ability to develop and test new ways of working and solutions to problems
- Strong oral and written communications skills in English and Arabic
- Very good Microsoft Office skills
The position will be based in Al Dhale`e with frequent travel to service delivery sites. Applicants from Al Dhale’e will be given preference when all other qualifications are equal. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity Anti-Retaliation and Combating Trafficking in Persons.