Vacancy Announcement for National Personnel for the German International Cooperation / Support Stabilization Process in Yemen – SSPY (PN. 17.9011.2-001.00) implemented by the GIZ Office Sana’a.
The wide range of services offered by the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH are based on a wealth of regional and technical expertise and on tried and tested management know–how. We are a German Federal enterprise and offer workable, sustainable and effective solutions in political, economic and social change processes.
- Position: Advisor (M & E)
- End of Contract: 31/03/2022 (Extendable)
- Post Location: Sana’a
The Advisor (M & E) responsible and accountable for:
- advising the project manager, technical staff and its team regarding M&E
- developing and managing SSPY project M&E concept and tools, M&E system based on GIZ standards and following mixed methods (quantitative and qualitative methodology);
- supporting the project advisors with the required monitoring activities (e.g. monitoring visits)
- alignment of SSPY project M&E concept with GIZ regulations/ expectations towards result based monitoring systems and capacity works;
- ensuring that component’s databases operates and functions correctly;
- data collection and reporting about milestones, current status of indicators towards the programme manager (progress reporting/ annual reporting, etc.);
- providing technical support to the component and programme by dealing with questions and problems relating to IT and M&E databases;
- innovation, reporting and knowledge management of M&E.
- preparation of data for PR and communications purposes
The Advisor (M & E)
- develops and implements the conflict-sensitive M&E concept of SSPY project based on GIZ RBM and capacity works guidelines, using mixed methods (quantitative, qualitative, and other methodologies)
- advises the programme manager as well as project team on all kind of questions related to M&E, conflict-sensitivity, indicators, tools, process of data collection and evaluation, and reporting
- deals with the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with the project’s M&E.
- develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives regarding SSPY project M&E;
- provides advisory services to partners for M&E topics on demand;
- defines needs for external technical expertise, including writing TOR for consultants, selecting experts and supervising them in cooperation with project manager and other related staff (e.g. success story booklet);
- if needed, organizes and provides capacity development for data collectors and evaluators on GIZ M&E system.
- aligns the M&E work of the different project components within one concept and enhances mutual learning between components;
- contributes to the work of national and international M&E experts by providing relevant data and information in a written and oral format;
- cooperates with project partner structures and with other GIZ projects/programmes to improve and maintain good working relationships;
- communicates the project interests and efforts, forwards these and encourages sharing ideas and information for the benefit of SSPY project.
- reports back to project manager on a regular basis about current status of progress and results of SSPY project indicators.
- prepares charts, presentations and written reports, booklets (e.g. success stories) about M&E;
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures regarding M&E;
- prepares appropriate input for various reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the component & programme managers;
- assists with research activities and studies which benefit the components and the project.
- manages a network of data collectors and possible consultants for M&E;
- supervises the work of local consultants on M&E;
- assists with general SSPY project planning and develops component concepts including preparation, organisation and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation;
- coordinates relevant component activities at local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organisational aspects;
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments.
- regularly keeps updating data and databases of the components of SSPY project;
- implements, maintains and configures all M&E databases using appropriate tools like GIZ “impact monitor”;
- organizes data coming from the project components;
- keeps record of the component’s activities, budget plans and expenditure
- regularly updates SSPY project’s data;
- coordinates with all components the activities of data collection and processing;
- takes up responsibilities to arrange for M&E field activities.
- Carries out other tasks for the program, even if these are not explicitly cited in the job description at the request of project related staff or project manager.
Required qualifications, competences and experience
- Master degree of business administration, economics or related field.
- 5-7 years’ professional experience, with at least 5 years professional experience in a comparable position in an international organization
- experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans
- experience in the major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, mixed method, and impact) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- experience in monitoring and evaluation of activities through participatory processes
- experience in organizing and facilitation of focus group discussion and conducting surveys
- experience in fieldwork in a challenging environment.
- familiarity with strengthening of public administration structures.
- integrity and accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
- analytical ability: Strong and proven, analytical skills including to review variety of data, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify and resolve operational problems;
- client orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders and focuses on result for the client and respond positive to feedback;
- communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
- creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving project and services;
- planning and organizing - plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- ability to perform a variety of routine financial and administrative tasks, including screening and collecting of project documentation, data entering, preparation of revisions, filing, provision of information;
- ability to perform work of confidential nature and handle a large work volume;
- willingness to travel to very remote and isolated field locations and work in a divers multi-cultural environment
- outstanding working knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office as well as ACESS database)
- digital literacy
- excellent written and spoken English and Arabic languages. Ideally a knowledge of German language
- good knowledge and working experience in the project governorates (Dhamar, Hadhramout, Amran and Al-Mahrah)
- holds valid driving license would be an asset.