Job Title: Senior Economic Recovery & Development Officer
Department: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD)
Location: Hodeidah (with 40% travel to Bait Al Fakih district)
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Scope of work
We are looking to for an ERD Senior Officer in this important role to boost our humanitarian efforts and where appropriate will go above and beyond! In this role, you support and supervise our ongoing economic recovery programs in Hodeidah governorate, Yemen. And you can play a key strategic and technical role in the overall implementation of economic recovery programs. Do you have past experience in project management? Are you passionate about supporting the vulnerable, planning, and want to make a meaningful impact? Then join us.
The Senior ERD officer will lead all aspects of field implementations for diversity of economic projects and craft the approach to every day processes of implementation of cash & livelihoods activities and supervising field teams. Also, the Senior Officer will be responsible for timely reporting of program activities, field level lesson learnt, internal & external coordination and staff capacity building. This position is based in Hodeidah with frequent travel to program sites across the governorate, particularly Bait Al Fakih district, and possible travel to other governorates.
Position Reports to: Economic Recovery & Development Manager.
Position directly supervises: ERD Assistants, Agriculture Officer.
- Supervise, monitor, and provide guidance to staff during implementation. Acting as positive drive the implementation quality and support of programs implementation using standard methodologies, advised by the country program’s Strategy Action Plan (SAP) and Project/Program Objectives agreed on.
- Manage and lead all aspects of ERD activities including cash, livelihoods, and assessments with close coordination of ERD Manager, and regularly getting technical support.
- Undertake regular field supervising visits to assess progress and identify technical quality and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as the need arises.
Coordination and Collaboration
- Work closely and coordinate with MEAL team and IRC other programs and support sectors (especially with field management) to ensure monitoring activities, as well as timely and completion of activities and expenditures.
- Represent the IRC in sectoral and technical coordination bodies/Clusters, and take the lead on inter-agency cooperation and information sharing with NGOs, INGOs, and local stockholders.
Staff Supervision & Development/Capacity Building
- Supervise and monitor staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of technical activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and achieve timelines. Coordination and Leading all aspects of staff administrative requirements with timely submission of work plans, leave schedules, monthly timesheets, performance review and recruitment.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions,
- Identify direct reporters capacity building needs and develop plans to maximize performance and professional development.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC ERD programs.
- Bachelor of Economics, Agriculture, Social Science, Business Administration, or related field,
- Overall 4 years of professional work experience, including a minimum of 3 years of experience in implementing cash transfer and livelihoods programming. Experience in implementation of cash and agricultural interventions in Hodeidah governorate is preferred. Experience in an similar position is preferred.
- Proficient digital literacy e.g., MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Kobo tools, project management software and/or tools, and Outlook.
- Technical knowledge on needs assessments, project formulation and overall supervision; Capacity to monitor project and situation analyses.
- Proven past experience and abilities in managing teams and providing mentorship, supervising staff performance, and providing technical support and coaching to field teams,
- Experience facilitating technical trainings and workshops related to emergency response, food security or livelihoods.
- Excellent ability to organize work, on time submission and work completion, maintain composure, ability to prioritize competing tasks, preform under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Fluency in English and Arabic is essential.
The position will be based in Hodeidah office with approximately 40% travel to Bait Al Fakih district to monitor field activities, including overnight stays in Bait Al Fakih. This position may also involve field travel to other governorates as required.
Standards of Professional Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way – Code of Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Harassment-Free Workplace, Fiscal Integrity, Anti-Retaliation, Combating Trafficking in Persons and several others.