The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Aiming to feed 13 million of the most vulnerable people with food assistance, WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers, and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
Job holders report to the Senior Administration Associate, Administration Officer and/or the designate. These jobs require a good physical fit to lift and handle heavy items and work in all types of weather conditions.
To support site maintenance services in providing cleaning, laundry, basic garden maintenance, porter duties and other related manual work, to ensure WFP premises are well-organised, kept in a clean & hygienic condition and are in compliance with the established standards.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
1. Perform basic maintenance of outdoor/indoor environments, to keep them clean, well-organised and in a good condition.
2. Provide support in loading/offloading and moving office equipment, furniture, baggage and other items for efficient site maintenance services.
3. Support preparation and delivery of food and beverages, arrange for basic refurbishment and maintenance of kitchen area and equipment to facilitate efficient service.
4. Provide laundry services including basic maintenance of related equipment, to ensure that WFP office and guesthouse items are clean.
5. Provide efficient cleaning services including kitchens and toilets to ensure clean, hygienic and well-organised working environment.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: No specific requirements. Completion of secondary school education is an advantage.
Experience: One year or more of related work experience. Experience working in WFP is advantageous.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Knowledge of basic equipment and use of cleaning materials/solutions.
- A previous experience in cooking is an advantage
- A previous experinece in maintenance is an advantage
- Ability to operate and maintain equipment and supplies related to work in a good working condition.
- Ability to work in all weather conditions and meet the deadlines.
- High sense of responsibility and initiative.
- Punctuality, honesty and integrity.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work in a team.
Language: Intermediate knowledge (level B) in English and fluency (level C) in Arabic .
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Builds an understanding of WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Approaches individual tasks and responsibilities with a positive attitude and demeanor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Understands the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Connects individual tasks and responsibilities to unit’s goals and mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Seeks opportunities to build and enhance individual skills.
- Create an inclusive culture: Demonstrates respect and understanding for diversity and cultural differences.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Identifies and approaches colleagues or supervisors to serve as coaches.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Sets clear goals and measurable targets for own tasks and responsibilities.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Assesses own tasks and responsibilities to find ways to be more efficient.
- Focus on getting results: Maintains accurate records of completion times and tasks in own areas of responsibility.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Understands responsibilities and the metrics associated with own tasks.
- Be Decisive: Notifies supervisors of dangerous situations or potential issues that may arise while in the field or office.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Understands WFP’s organizational structure, including the purpose and mission of each unit.
- Build strong external partnerships: Supports team in working with colleagues and WFP’s partners in the field toward common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with other WFP employees and partners in the field.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Understands own team’s contributions in its partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.