Job Title: SMC Community Mobilizers (21)
Location: Al Hodeida
Duration: Initially until 31 December 2021, with possibility of extension depending on fund availability and staff performance
Date of Issue: 25 March 2021
Closing Date for Applications: 30 March 2021
Note: Only applicants living at any District of Al Hodeida Governorate will be contacted for these positions.
Jeel Albena is a National Humanitarian and Non-Governmental Association emerged in wake of the humanitarian crisis to help communities affected by conflict in Yemen. It provides emergency relief and direct assistance for the conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities, vulnerable groups and those people caught up in extraordinary life-threatening situations. Jeel Albena has a presence in Al Hudaydah, Hajjah, and Almahweet with the aim of building up protection capacities for people in displacement and it works towards finding durable solutions for them upon return.
- In collaboration with the other SMC management staff, conduct site risk assessments and safety checks to ensure the safety of the staff and IDPs sites population, ensuring staff are fully aware and equipped to conduct their work safely.
- Monitor multi-sector needs and service provision and the overall condition of the sites including shelter, WASH, environment and cross-cutting services and apply a participatory approach to identify, analyze and prioritize the site needs in order to avoid service duplication and gaps.
- In collaboration with other staff members, develop joint site risk management plans to promote the health, safety and environment of the sites.
- Support the technical implementation of maintenance by the staff, covering safe site design or layout, repairs and risk reduction, the upkeep of shelter, WASH, electrical systems, other site facilities and utilities and the general environment.
- Mobilize, train, organize and equip site population to take part in safely maintaining the site according to the risk management plan.
- Ensure clarification of roles and responsibilities among population with a focus on sustainability.
- Account for and maintain all equipment and supplies that are required for technical assistance as part of site management plans.
- Assist in the development of effective referral mechanisms in close collaboration with relevant stakeholders, carry out, monitor and follow up on referrals.
- Engage IDPs in participatory approaches to identify, analyze and prioritize site needs in order to avoid service duplication and gaps in assistance and protection.
- Liaise on a daily basis with community leaders to gather feedback on the appropriateness of WASH/Shelter activities and to document suggestions based on the community needs.
- Work closely with community committees and build their capacity in representing the needs and interests of the community.
- Arrange for the initial community mobilization for the targeted community and form project community committees to participate in the beneficiary’s registration and verification.
- Support communities to develop new strategies to meet their needs and other cross cutting issues like protection, health and gender issues among other community issues.
- Participate in relevant external and internal project evaluations and/or needs assessments.
- Report on project implementation progress; share successes and challenges to proactively find solutions to problems and contribute to coordination with other organizations implementing relevant activities at field level.
- Provide the primary raw information for the documentation of lessons learned and success stories on the project.
- Support gender mainstreaming into all aspects of project to ensure that benefits reach all vulnerable community members.
- Work directly with the IDPs to establish, strengthen and monitor an effective, transparent, representative site governance system including coordination of site service provision and other defined activities.
- Facilitate the mobilization and participation of the IDPs in the site governance system with particular emphasis on meaningful inclusion of women, children, elderly and persons with specific needs into decision-making processes.
- Any additional task as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Secondary certificate or equivalent.
- Strong communication, interpersonal, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Experience in carrying out participatory fieldwork, monitoring and reporting.
- Experience in conducting needs/vulnerability assessments and beneficiary selection processes.
- Ability to work under time pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Some knowledge of English.
- Knowledge of multi-sectoral humanitarian response, including Protection, WASH, Shelter, and emergency distribution is of benefit.
- Experience in SMC or Protection programming is of benefit.