Job Title: Agriculture Assistant
Band/ Level / Grade: A9
Department: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD)
Location: Al Dhale’e office
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Scope of Work:
The Agriculture Assistant is responsible for supporting Agriculture Officer during the implementation operations of the Kitchen Gardening project to improve dietary diversity to households with malnutrition through Agriculture activities in Al Hussain district of Al Dhale’e governorate.
The Agriculture Assistant will support and assist project timely implementation of Kitchen Gardening (KG) activities and capacity building trainings for and targeting households. The incumbent will also be responsible to organize the community meetings and sensitization sessions with close coordination of Relief Committees and local authorities, with aim to strengthen community understanding of Nutritional values, build mentorship relations with community, and raise awareness of impact of KG on household’s economy.
Position Reports to: Agriculture Officer.
Position directly supervises: No one.
- Assist in developing detailed activity plans in line with program objectives and prepare plans for field visits.
- Assist the Officer in identification and registration of household’s for kitchen Gardening activities.
- Collaborate with key partners - Government and I/NGOs - working in target districts, and, communities about the project concept, benefits, targeting criteria, implementation strategies and modalities, monitoring and other such aspects.
- Work closely and in coordination with local communities for awareness and targeting and mobilization sessions.
- Assist in conducting training, preparation of training module for training.
- Collaborate closely with Relief Committees (RCs) and organize distribution of Seeds and inputs to selected households.
- Responsible for follow ups to established kitchen gardens and on spot mentorship in terms of disease control and standard methodologies to adopt.
- Undertake regular field supervising visits to assess progress and identify technical quality and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as the need arises.
- Keeping track of the field visits information and services provided to clients.
Requirements (Qualifications, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelor degree/Diploma or equivalent work experience (preferable in agriculture relevant field).
- Minimum of one year field work experience of official employment, temporary assignment, or volunteering.
- Proven experience in providing awareness sessions or training to communities and households, including delivery of training/teaching aids suitable to local culture and contexts;
- Willingness to travel and work in remote/rural communities with limited access to basic facilities within the constraints of IRC’s security policies.
- Demonstrate high level of communication and interpersonal skills required to build links with team to handle problems and resolve issues.
- Preferable proficient digital literacy e.g., MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Good written and spoken Arabic is a must, while good English skills is an addition.
- Ability to maintain good working relationship with colleagues and partners.
- Dedication to IRC values and principles
- The position will be based in IRC Al-Dhale’e office and will involve field travel to project implementation sites.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation