Job Title: Legal Officer
Duration: Initially until 31 December 2021, with possibility of extension depending on fund availability and staff performance.
Date of Issue: 17 January 2021
Closing Date for Applications: 22 January 2021
Jeel Albena Association for Humanitarian Development known as (JAAHD) is a National and Non-Governmental Association emerged in wake of the humanitarian crisis to help communities affected by conflict in Yemen. It provides emergency relief and direct assistance for the conflict-affected populations, IDPs, host communities, vulnerable groups and those people caught up in extraordinary life-threatening situations. JAAHD has a presence in Al Hudaydah, Hajjah, Almahweet & Raymah with the aim of building up protection capacities for people in displacement and finding durable solutions for them upon return.
Currently JAAHD in partnership with UNHCR is implementing a protection project in Alhodeidah governorate. The objective of the project is to offer protection assistance for IDPs and hosting community through the community center in the city.
The community center will offer multi protection assistance including PSS activities, legal assistance and referral cases. Thus, the association announces the need to hire a legal officer for the community center to achieve the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Provide legal support to the targeted population through legal counselling and providing legal information sessions.
- Assure the protection monitoring of human rights violations and IDPs’ rights.
- Providing legal needs periodically with personal IDs and family cards and birth certificates.
- In coordination with the supervisor, support and lead the implementation of project’s activities, including protection monitoring, provision of cash transfer, provision of legal and psychosocial assistance as per the project work plan.
- Working closely with the IDPs community, to identify particularly vulnerable individuals and together with the supervisor develop strategies and means to assist them.
- Ensure that there is a wide dissemination of the risks faced by IDPs and together with members of the community, define possible solutions to these problems.
- Conduct field visits to assess the protection needs and concerns of the target population, with particular attention to vulnerable persons with special needs.
- Regularly send reports on protection trends and incidents faced by IDPs and local communities.
- Maintain an excel database to ensure that statistics and other reports are produced on a timely basis.
- Compile weekly, monthly narratives and data reports on the risks faced by IDPs.
- And any other relevant duties as required.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- University Degree in Law, Human Rights, International Law or related field.
- Working experience in the same field.
- Experience in carrying out interviews and focus group discussions, analyzing information provided and drafting reports.
- Familiarity with smart data collection tools.
- Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, mission and vision of JAAHD.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent analytical skills, observation and analysis capacity.
- Very strong interpersonal skills: strong communication and diplomatic skills.
- Ability to deal with heavy work pressure.
- Excellent written and spoken English is an asset.
- Self-motivated, results-driven and excellent sense of organization.
- Excellent knowledge of MS applications particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Attention to details, accuracy and structured way of approaching task.