Job Title: Project Accountant
Classification Level: C4
Organizational Unit : Yemen Red Crescent Society (YRCS)
Report To: Project Finance Officer , Branch Accountant Manager
Technical Support : Project Coordinator , YRCS HQ Accountant Manager
Duty Station: YRCS Amran Branch
Duration of Assignment: 1 Year
Terms of employment: Employment is full time according to YRCS guidelines
Organizational context (where the job is located in the Organization)
The Danish Red Cross (DRC) has maintained a long term partnership with the Yemen Red Crescent Society (YRCS) since 2004. The DRC support in Yemen, through the YRCS, has been on community emergency and developmental projects covering programmatic areas on health, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH), Psychosocial Support (PSS), and Disaster Preparedness and Response.
In consortium with the International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC), DRC, will implement the European Union EU ECHO funded project in Amran. The project entitled “Integrated WASH, Protection, and Psychosocial Support to Vulnerable Communities in Yemen through the Enhanced Capacities of YRCS (InWAPPS)” will be implemented for a period of 18 months and will focus on thematic areas of Health, WASH, Psychosocial Support and Protection.
Reporting to the YRCS ECHO project finance officer, the branch accountant will work closely with the project amran branch team to ensure sound financial management of the project transactions at the Amran branch. S/he will undertake standard accounting procedures on daily basis including budget management, cash disbursements, cash receipts, petty cash management, currency exchanges, bank reconciliations, and other finance related tasks for the ECHO InWAPPS project at branch level. The finance officer is also responsible to monitor and report to the YRCS ECHO project coordinator and the YRCS Amran branch finance department, on the project financial transactions, financial risks and necessary reports.
Job duties and responsibilities
The “ Project Accountant ” will be responsible but not limited to:
- Manage funds in accordance with YRCS standard procedures and policies.
- Ensure that the financial management systems are updated, functional, timely, correct and strictly followed by project staff.
- Responsible for development and management payments relate to the project.
- Daily management of financial issues, including ensuring bills is paid correctly and timely.
- Monitor all services and their payments (use of mobiles and telephones, fax, email, photocopy etc.).
- Undertake regular visits to the project branches to monitor and support implementation of financial systems.
- Management and supervision of payments, consultancy fees, per-diem, etc.
- Check invoices submitted by branches, activity and account coding and correct preparation of vouchers.
- Carry out weekly and monthly cash counts together with YRCS Branch accountant.
- Report promptly on any administrative or financial irregularities encountered to the YRCS branch accountant, ECHO Finance Officer at HQ, DRC finance officer.
- Actively research solution when the implementation of the activities requires financial adjustments.
- Supported by the Project Officer/ Engineer prepare quarterly and yearly detailed activity-based budgets corresponding to activity plans.
- Prepare and forward monthly reports to the YRCS branch accountant, ECHO Finance Officer at HQ, DRC finance officer in HQ on financial implementation according to YRCS finance policy with cash requests.
- Supervise monthly bank reconciliation.
- Participate in periodic reviews, audits and evaluations, when requested.
- Participate in weekly staff coordination meeting, and other relevant meetings, when required.
- Ensure that the Project Officer/ Engineer at branches are well informed about all financial aspects of the project at all times.
VALUES and COMPETENCIES
- Respect and act in line with the YRCS staff regulations and code of conduct and the fundamental principles and Values of the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
- Ensure and maintain the core competencies required to implement the tasks (a high degree of accountability, commitment to YRCS capacity building, a high level of technical capacity to ensure results and working effectively in teams and sharing knowledge and best practices through good communication skills).
- Ensure management competencies to manage performance in a way that enables the YRCS to achieve its objectives with enhanced planning and coordination capacities.
Certification and Education Required
- University education in accounting or similar knowledge learned.
- A minimum of 2 years working experience with international/ NGOs accounting procedures.
- Experience in working on EU funded projects, ECHO, DEVCO will be an added advantage
- Familiar with one or more accounting systems.
- Ability to communicate financial information to non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and handle multiple tasks (good time management skills)
- Fluently spoken and written in English.
- Good computer skills.
- Good organizational skills.
- Cooperative attitude.
- Flexibility to adjust to the organizational needs and constraints, and to the needs of the recipients.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Self-motivated and good motivator.
- Ability to deal with complex situations.
- Familiar with cross-cultural cooperation.
- Open and honest.