Job Title: Economic Empowerment Assistant
Band/ Level / Grade: A9
Department: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD)
Location: Lahaj (Habeel Al- Jabr) – Reporting in Al Dhale’e office
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Scope of Work:
The Economic Empowerment Assistant will be responsible for supporting the supervising Officer during the implementation of the projects of Village Savings and Loans Associations (VSLAs), Business Skills training (Learn to Earn), and Small Business Grants follow up and support sessions in Habeel Al-Jabr district of Lahj governorate.
The IRC is looking for hard working, and positive nature to join the team as Economic Empowerment Assistant - EEA position. The EEA will support and under supervision of EE officer, efforts of formation of community groups of VSLAs, assist the management and delivery of principle to the community and teach the members of the groups to acquire skills on the day to day operations and book-keeping. The IRC seek through this project to build community access to capital and later get involved in small entrepreneurships and livelihoods. EE Assistant in addition to EE Officer, will encourage the efforts and support the startups and expansion of entrepreneurs and aid clients in developing their businesses plans, distribution of startup grant, acquire skills and gain access to finance. You will also responsible for mobilizing the community, leading trainings on business and life skills, and providing ongoing support to these community savings groups.
Position Reports to: Economic Empowerment Officer.
Position directly supervises: No one.
- Take part in developing daily and weekly activity plans and assist EE Officer in program implementation as per detail implementation plan and arrange travels for field activities.
- Assist entrepreneurs to develop business plans, including providing inputs in the IRC cash grant application process.
- Arrangements and facilitating of capacity building sessions/trainings to entrepreneurs/ERD program beneficiaries.
- Ensure that all Economic Development related meetings have agenda, meeting minutes, action items and all documentation accurate managed is disseminated as the need arises;
- Community sensitization sessions and selection of households and collecting the information required for final selection of small business grants.
- Ensure effective mobilization of communities to participate in VSLA and entrepreneur skills training activities.
- Conduct regular monitoring and visits to VSLAs, collect data from VSLA groups on a monthly basis and enter it in the database.
- Support monitoring and evaluation for business skills training and business support activities
- Project related reports as the need arises by line manager.
Requirements (Qualifications, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelor degree/diploma or equivalent work experience (preferable in Business Management or Accounting field).
- Minimum of one year field work experience of official employment, temporary assignment, or volunteering. Preferable relevant experience in implementing community development projects including, savings and lending and income generation activities.
- Skill to work with in and as part of team, with data collection and tracking, practical skills, problem solving skills, willingness and ability to perform field work.
- Prove ability to learn quickly and take initiative.
- Excellent digital literacy e.g., MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Excellent ability to organize work, on time submission and work completion, maintain composure, ability to prioritize competing tasks, preform under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Good written and spoken Arabic is a most, while good English skills is an addition.
- The position will be based in IRC Lahj office and will involve field travel to project implementation sites.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation