Job Title: Agriculture Officer
Band/ Level / Grade: B8
Department: Economic Recovery and Development (ERD)
Location: Lahaj (Habeel Al- Jabr) – Reporting in Al Dhale’e office
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
Scope of Work:
The Agriculture Officer will be responsible for the implementation operations of the Kitchen Gardening project to improve dietary diversity to households with malnutrition through Agriculture activities in Habeel Al-Jaber district of Lahj governorate.
The Agriculture Officer will work to ensuring timely and quality implementation of the Kitchen Gardening (KG) activities. The position is also to ensuring that the implementation strategies and approaches used are appropriate and cost efficient in growing horticultural production and Productivity to improve household food security.
Position Reports to: Economic Recovery & Development Manager.
Position directly supervises: one assistant.
- Developing detailed activity plans in line with program objectives, ensuring that those plans are implemented and any expected delays and/or modifications are communicated and raised in a timely manner with line Manager.
- Sensitize key partners - Government and I/NGOs - working in target districts, and, communities about the project concept, benefits, targeting criteria, implementation of strategies and modalities, monitoring and other such aspects.
- Identifying/selecting target communities and beneficiaries, as per agreed criteria and, in sensitizing them about the interventions and benefits.
- Support an analysis on input availability in program area and contracting of either local or international input providers for seeds & tools.
- lead all aspects of developing training manual and identify the trainers for KG/agriculture related trainings with ERD Manager and Coordinator, including seedling preparation, land preparation & soil fertility, planting, coordinated pest and disease management, water management and nutrition sensitive harvesting and post-harvest practices. Arrange training sessions for selected households before delivery of inputs.
- Coordination with supply chain department to ensure in time delivery of quality kits to selected households. Upon training to beneficiaries, ensure supply of seeds and tools, distribution and extend technical support to establish their gardens.
- Developing of program related documents, including Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for kitchen gardening.
- Responsible for regular follow-up session to households for on spot mentorship and disease control methods.
- Respond to / address questions arising from M&E team regarding the program activities and Participate in the project M&E events such as mid-term & end of project evaluation.
- Submit weekly, monthly and comprehensive quarterly reports on implementation of planned kitchen gardening to the supervisor.
Coordination & Representation:
- Maintain supportive and constructive relations with partner organizations, local authorities and humanitarian actors.
- Attend field level meetings when required and providing detailed reports to the line Manager if necessary.
- Coordination with Food Security & Agriculture (FSAC) cluster.
- Coordination with Agriculture department for joint monitoring visit.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable conducting the IRC programs.
- Raise purchase requests as and when required.
- Work constructively within the team and take initiative on new tasks.
- Promptly report concerns or incidents to the IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as the need arises to maintain/improve the security environment for the ERD program.
- Coordinate with the M&E staff and the wider ERD team as vital to identify program quality issues.
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and mentorship to enable staff to optimal perform in their positions.
Requirements (Qualifications, Skills and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s Degree/Diploma in Agriculture or Horticulture or Food Production or equivalent work experience.
- Proven experience, minimum 1 to 2 years of direct field project implementing food/vegetable production interventions; specific experience with small-scale low planting or raised sack gardening preferred.
- Demonstrate high level of communication and interpersonal skills required to build links with team to handle problems and resolve issues.
- Excellent communication/ reporting skills in Arabic is a most, while English skills is preferred addition.
- Proven experience of training communities and households in agronomic/food production aspects, including design and development of training/teaching aids suitable to local culture and contexts;
- Proven abilities in managing teams and providing mentorship, supervising staff performance, and providing technical support and coaching to field teams, comprising local and expatriate staffs and, with minimum supervision and willingness to travel and work in remote rural communities with limited access to basic facilities within the constraints of IRC’s security policies.
- Excellent ability to organize work, on time submission and work completion, maintain composure, ability to prioritize competing tasks, preform under pressure, coordinate multiple tasks and maintain attention to detail.
- Proficient digital literacy e.g., MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Kobo tools, and Outlook.
- The position will be based in IRC Lahj office and will involve field travel to project implementation sites.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation